Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Craft Storage Shelf from a Drawer

build a shelf from an old drawer

I needed a shelf for my craft supplies. Want to see how I turned an old drawer into a shelf?

This is my solution to my storage problem:build a shelf from an old drawer


I found this old drawer in our barn.
(Quick explanation: we tore down an old farmhouse to build our new home. Tearing it down was not our first choice, we looked into fixing it up, but it would’ve been mega dollars to fix the foundation problems. So in the end, we built new.) But the drawer was from the kitchen of the old house. We salvaged some things before tearing it down. IMG_4126 

It needed some cleaning. IMG_4127

And then some sanding.IMG_4143   IMG_4144

Then it needed some shelves, which my dad cut for me. (Thanks, Dad!)
He also put wallpaper in the back to cover the ugly plywood.
Then the shelf got some primer. IMG_4469

And paint.
A lot of paint.


IMG_4840

See how neat the wallpaper looks in the back? It is textured, paintable wall paper.IMG_4841 
And then my husband hung it for me. Good thing he’s an engineer. He came up with a good solution for hanging it. Since it was a drawer, it doesn’t sit flush on the wall. IMG_4844IMG_4856 IMG_4857 Whew! So excited to have somewhere to put all my things. And it is a little piece of history I could salvage from a rustic old farmhouse.

17 comments:

  1. Makes me want to get my craft stuff more organized. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting via Addicted 2 Decorating. I absolutely adore your shelf.

    I created several spring projects on my blog this week. Please stop by if you have a moment.

    Have a lovely Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it! I have so many old drawers around here and I wonder what to do with them sometimes. I could definitely use some more shelving. This is a great little project. Well done.

    Visiting from AD2D

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did he hang it? Pics of that would be great!

    Thanks,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is a drawing he just made! http://monkeyseemonkeydo-jennifer.blogspot.com/2012/04/drawer-to-shelf-hanging-instructions.html

      Delete
  5. Curious--how did he hang it since it's adrawer? I've been wanting to do the same thing, but wasn't sure how to hang it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://monkeyseemonkeydo-jennifer.blogspot.com/2012/04/drawer-to-shelf-hanging-instructions.html

      I just posted some instructions! Hope that helps.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely adore this! I especially love how it came from the old barn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is genius! Such a great idea! Would you consider sharing it over at my party?
    http://www.thetaylor-house.com/2012/04/taylor-house-thursday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been featured! Come check it out!
    http://raisingoranges.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Makes me wish for an old rustic drawer that I could makeover! Supercool idea..love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. check out a thrift store. or an antique store. or just put an ad on craig's list that you are looking for one!

      Delete
  10. I like this idea and would leave any knobs on to hang something from them. Thanks for the idea. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! I may have to add them back on!

      Delete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!