Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Baby Boy Aviator Hat Crochet Pattern

aviator hat baby boy title
I posted a cute little pink pig hat a few weeks ago. Obviously, it was for baby girls. Since I have two boys, I like to do boy projects more often than girl projects. And I make newborn hats to donate for the local hospital and can’t only make girl hats.

I could not find a free pattern for an aviator hat, so I decided to draft my own.  Keep in mind, I’m still new to crocheting and I’m especially new to drafting patterns. So if you have feedback, I’d love to hear it (please be kind, thanks!)


The basic hat is the same as the pig hat with the addition of small earflaps. Which could be left off.

For the hat:
Round 1: Chain 3. 12 DC in last chain from hook, sl st in top of first DC (12 dc)
Round 2: Ch 2. 2 DC in each DC, sl st in top of first DC. (picture below) (24 dc)
Round 3: Ch 2. (2 DC in next DC, DC in next DC) around. Sl st in top of first DC (36 DC)
Round 4-10: Ch 2. DC in each DC around. Sl st in top of first DC (36 DC).

First earflap (do not fasten off yarn, start earflap in next stitch after the end of round 10): Row 1: ch 2, 6 HDC
Row 2: ch 2, turn, HDC dec, 2 HDC, HDC dec (4 HDC)
Row 3: ch 2, turn, 4 HDC. Fasten off. Weave in end.

Second Earflap (leave 12 sts between beginning of first earflap and this one, join yarn in 12th stitch) and repeat instructions for rows 1-3 of first earflap.

Front Flap (join contrasting yarn color in stitch right next to either earflap)
Row 1: sc 12, ch 1, turn
Row 2: sc 12, ch 1, turn
Row 3: sc 12, ch 1, turn
Row 4: sc dec, sc 8, sc dec (10 sc) ch 1, turn
Row 5: sc 10, ch 1, turn
Row 6: sc 10.

Join new color and sc all around the brim and flap. Fasten off, leave a 10” tail for stitching the flap in place.

Turn the flap up to the right side of the hat. Stitch the flap to the front of the hat using the tail you left from the trim.

Then stitch matching buttons to the corners of the front flap. (I used a regular sized sewing needle and thread for this; I couldn't fit my big yarn needle through the button holes.)

aviator hat baby boy (18)
Hope you like making this quick hat for the baby boy in your life!

If you don't crochet, my hats are available through my Facebook page and all style options are displayed in my Facebook album, Crocheted Hats. I do custom orders, some of my hats are ready to ship but in most cases, a custom order requires 2 weeks of wait time. Email me to inquire about placing an order: monkeyseemail (at) gmail (dot) com

I've made and shared lots of hats on my blog. Go here to see all the hat posts.


Places I have linked:
Or So She SaysTrain to CrazyTater tots & Jello Merry Messy Life, Sugar Bee CraftsReasons to Skip the Housework,  The 36th Avenue, House of HepworthsSomeday CraftsSouthern Lovely504 Main,Serenity Now,  Fingerprints on the FridgeI heart NapTime, Classy ClutterA Glimpse Inside, Somewhat SimpleGingerly MadeSerenity NowToday's Creative BlogThe Winthrop ChroniclesHome Stories A to Z

7 comments:

  1. So cute!!! Thanks for sharing the pattern!!
    ~Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable!

    Thanks so much for sharing at the Friday Baby Shower, Alice x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So adorable. Not a crafty gal, but these make me wish I were...

    Popping in from Oh, Mrs. Tucker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great hats, really!!! Come link them up with us at our linky party! You are cordially invited to join us! ~ Rose

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!