Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Hot Chocolate Mix (Holiday Gift Idea)

I made these cute little jars of hot chocolate mix for my MOPS friends. I wanted to get my three-year old involved in the mixing and filling of the jars, but he declined. However, these would be a great project if young child was willing to participate. As an added bonus, it uses upcycled baby food jars. You've probably got a ton in your basement, right?


First, I spray-painted the lids of baby food jars (the size 1 jars.) They hold about 1/3 cup of powdered mix and a few marshmallows. (The serving size is 1/3 cup of the powdered mix, so each jar is one serving.) The recipe makes enough for 20 single-serving jars. 

This is the recipe for the hot chocolate mix:
3 cups powdered milk
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
1/4 t salt 

Mix well and fill each jar with 1/3 cup. Top with marshmallows.
Include these instructions for preparing the hot chocolate:
Mix contents of one jar with 1 cup of hot water. Stir.  
I wrote the instructions on brown paper bags and tied some yarn around the mouth of each jar. 
They make cute little inexpensive gifts for friends, neighbors, or teachers.


21 comments:

  1. Adorable idea and great when you have a lot of little gifts for a big group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love gifts in a jar! Have done s'mores, dip, dry rub, and potpourri so will have to try this! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have given a lot of those gifts myself over the years! Glad you like this idea.

      Delete
  3. How cute! I just made a large batch of hot chocolate mix, but never considered individual servings. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun gift to receive..... YUM!
    hugs x
    Crystelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christina @ Floridays MomDecember 19, 2012 at 11:46 AM

    Saw you on Homemade Ginger. I love this idea. I've seen and done the cookie jars..this is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Featuring YOU today! Thank you for linking up to {wow me} wednesday!

    Ginger @ GingerSnapCrafts.com

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2012/12/20-holiday-ideas-recipes-crafts-take.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love your tasty recipe and appreciate you taking the time to share it with us in the Crafty Showcase. Stop back in to see who gets featured on Friday.

    Merry Christmas,
    Susie, Sandy, Sarah & the Bowdabra Designers
    http://www.bowdabrablog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made these and added cloth top with Hershey's kiss and small candy cane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can anyone tell me about how many jars this made? I'm assuming they're the littler size.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen Reynolds McKnightSeptember 26, 2015 at 5:40 PM

    Love these. Thank you for such clear instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did this years ago and everyone loved it. I know I will do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for helping people get the information they need. Great stuff as usual. Keep up the great work!!!
    holiday gift ideas

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.. bounty chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are you thinking to hire someone to Do My Classes Online by Do My Classes Nowbecause you are too busy with other things? Do not worry, and hire us to get excellent help from our academic experts. We promise that you will get high-quality assistance from us.

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!