Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Dresser Revamp

What a change! It goes well with the rest of our bedroom.


IMG_3655

My super-wonderful husband and I redid this dresser. It was devastatingly 1960’s-esque.


Here is the before:

My mom said it was the very first piece of furniture she bought; she thinks she paid $50 for it back in the 1970's. She & my dad upgraded their bedroom furniture and my husband and I got a free dresser.

I've always disliked it.

These were the handles.

IMG_3587


These were the legs.

IMG_3588


My husband made new legs for it. After attaching them, we primed it.

IMG_3585


We stripped and restained the drawers, filled the holes where the old hardware had been, and painted the outside. (The top was plastic and not wood, so we couldn’t restain it.)IMG_3586

IMG_3656

IMG_3657

IMG_3659

IMG_3660

IMG_3661

I love it now.

Also, my super-amazing husband parked his car in the driveway instead of the garage for the entire month of December so we could work on the dresser in the warmth of the garage. He also stored all of his clothing in a plastic tub because of the lack of drawer space in our room while the revap was taking place.

He's a keeper.

11 comments:

  1. aw, he's a keeper, and SO IS THE DRESSER! i love it! the color is so so pretty and it looks perfect with the wood tone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a chance to get one like this at a thrift store and passed it up. When I went back, it was gone!! I'm still very upset with myself about it! Your's looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so cool and modern now!! Awesome work guys!
    The things husbands do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh, that looks amazing! i always love the two toned color combos. one day i will get the nerve to do something like this, but i'm afraid i don't have the vision for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought a whole set of 70ish bedroom furniture in mint condition. No hardware! And amazingly the legs are very current a la your design. My idea is similar; to paint the frame and stain the drawers. Now you have given me a preview of how thrilled I am going to be when it is finished. Yep, that hubby is a keeper for sure and the dresser is a testament. Fine job both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) Thanks for the comments

    I know there are some things we could've done better (getting the holes filled better, etc, etc) but we were short on time, energy, and money! I actually tried to re-use the hardware, but wasn't sure how to get the paint to stick to the metal surface.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      Do you still have the old hardware and legs?? I would LOVE to have them. I love mid century furniture and what a waste it would be to trash them! Please contact me if you still have the pcs: vlntr@hotmail.com. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. I just came over from Apartment Therapy! I loved reading the story that it was your parents and how you made it work for you. I have a few pieces I inherited and don't want to get rid of. I really like what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. he he- you commented on my post- but i just saw i've seen this dresser- i knew it looked familiar! look at the first comment! ;) love it- that base is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!