Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Repurposed Craft Supply Wall Organizer

I found this item in my parents' barn. My dad said I could do whatever I wanted to it.

"What is it?"
My dad explained it was a radiator cover that was in my great-aunt's apartment. She passed away approximately 25 years ago, so I have no idea why anyone saved this custom-designed radiator cover for an apartment in which she no longer lives.
Whatever the case, I saw great potential for repurposing it into the craft storage unit I've always wanted.

To start things off, I took a tiger saw and removed the grate from the front. Then I
sanded (a lot) to get the peeling paint off.

This was before my dad mentioned that it was probably lead paint and I should be careful of the dust and fumes.

Here is a picture of the whole thing clamped on its side post-tiger sawing:
IMG_1657

My dad helped me cut some cleats and dowel rods (the cleats are “u-shaped” and hold the dowel rods up) to use for ribbon and paper storage. I attached them with Gorilla Glue and some screws.

I later coated it with antique white glossy spray paint. Then I masked the sides, top and bottom of the shelves, like I did for the bookshelf, and sprayed the back of the shelves with flat lilac spray paint.

Here is the finished product!IMG_2496 Notice how perfectly it holds my spray-painted yogurt containers? How about my rescued metal recipe boxes? Everything is color coordinated!

http://roadkillrescue.net/"> src="http://roadkillrescue.net/buttonImages/Rescuer.png" target="_blank"/>

6 comments:

  1. Great job! I love it when old stuff is given new life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did with that. I wish I had that kind of creativity:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! I really love how it turned out. My dad helped a lot with the cutting the dowel rods and cleats to hold the rods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, way to go! it looks so good. hooray for re-purposing! :)

    i would love for you to come link up this or any other amazing project at my creativity party going on right now!

    letbirdzfly.blogspot.com

    thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I could totally use one of these. I would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party!
    http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/09/bedazzle-me-monday-1.html

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!