Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Painting a Bookcase: Before & After

I rescued these two small bookcases from my parents' barn. I wanted to use one in our little boy's room. I chose the one on the right for this purpose.

I may make the left one into an art cabinet...but I have to figure out how to remove the bottom part. It was apparently a radiator cover.
book shelf before
Here is the 'after' picture of my bookcase. book shelf after spray paint
You can't tell very well, but I did a glazing technique.
Here are the steps:


1. Prime the whole thing with plain old interior wall primer.

2. Paint the whole thing with interior semi-gloss paint.

3. After it dried, for the glaze, I used a gel stain meant for finishing wood, let it sit on the paint for a few minutes, and then wiped it off. It gave it a grainy look. I don't love it, but it is more interesting than plain off-white.

4. To do the blue back of the shelves, I used a satin finish spray paint. I masked the sides really well, shown below:

I applied quite a few coats of spray paint to cover the white and the glaze I'd already done.  book shelf with spray paintI really like it and can't wait for our house to be finished so we can use it! By the way, the blue shelf backs were a last-minute decision. I wouldn't have painted and glazed them if I thought I was going to spray paint them.

Update: See this post of my toddler's room to see this shelf in action! Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!