Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Adding Sleeves to a Child's Polo Shirt

My child is the lucky recipient of some wonderful size 18 month hand-me-downs. I wanted to take a few of his short-sleeved polo shirts and convert them to long sleeves. Here's my little model showing off his new long sleeves:
adding long sleevesHere's some advice: Try to add on sleeves of an old short sleeved t-shirt so you don't have to hem the sleeves. I went through two different trials before successfully using t-shirt scraps.

As for sizing, I found that my child's shirts had 4" sleeves already; he needed about 10" total to cover his arms generously, so I cut 7" from a t-shirt. I zig zagged the sleeves (I don't have a serger, but if I did, I would've used it). Using t-shirt sleeves also allows the sleeve to ''taper'' to the wrist.This picture is with just plain knit (it was trial 1, not successful trial 3 with the t-shirt sleeves) without the hems, but you get the idea.
Then, I pinned the sleeves to the inside of the polo shirt sleeve's binding (right sides together). I zig zagged this. I found the easiest way to sew this seam was to turn the whole thing inside out.

For this navy striped polo shirt (without the binding on the sleeve) I just pinned on the outside and tried to sew along the existing hem's seam.
adding sleeves to a shirt...And this is the third one I made for him. Hope these brief instructions make sense. This is a wonderfully frugal yet easy way to stretch you kid's clothes short-sleeved summer clothing through the fall season.

2 comments:

  1. Again, love it! How do you not have more followers! You have great stuff on here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. waw!! three monkey attach with another.I saw some image how to swing upon fabrics to made dress.your presentation is nice.
    sell my house

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!