Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Toddler Pickiness

My little guy doesn't really like meat. He eats hamburgers selectively (if they're nice and salty, I like to mix garlic salt and BBQ sauce into ours) and doesn't like chicken very often. He does love hot dogs.

But I feel guilty feeding him a hot dog every day. Too much salt.

He loves my mom's meatloaf (it was my grandmother's recipe). I can't make it myself b/c I don't think it is all that healthy (sorry mom!) and I don't have a place to buy the mix around here (she gets it at a small, family-owned grocery store).

My solution: make him meatballs. I made 1.5 dozen this morning and plan to freeze them. To my delight, I found some grass-fed beef at a farmer's market this weekend and used 1 pound of the ground beef in the meatballs.

I added 1 cup of Panko breadcrumbs (the Japanese kind which are flaked instead of ground so it is lighter and has more volume than regular crumbs).

Then I added a small amount of salt, pepper, an egg, minced fresh basil (I didn't measure) plus I chopped 1/2 an onion and shredded a carrot.

I'm hoping he eats these meatballs to get some more iron and protein into his diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!