Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

CD Sleeve Tutorial

I wanted to make one of these for my son's CDs. I planto hang it in the kitchen cupboard or in his bedroom if he has a CD player in there when we get a new house.

This is what I cut: nine 8x5" scraps of flannel (for the pockets) and two 14x8" pieces (for the back and the backing for the front). I also had some pieces for the middle that contained interfacing.

I pressed the tops of each piece and then hemmed them. Then I attached all the pieces to one of the 8x14" pieces. Make sure to sew all the way around each pocket individually or the CDs will slide through to the bottom. Position each pocket about 1" from the top of the one above.


Now trim the edges as close to the stitching as possible.

Next, you will attach the front to the back piece. I added interfacing (it was attached to a scrap of green gingham) into the middle. If you want to attach velcro or ribbon pieces to the outer seam, now is the time to do that, too. Attach by sewing all the way around the perimeter.Clip your seams again as close to the last perimeter seam as possible.
This is how mine looked from the back:
You're almost done! Just do the binding! Start in the middle, not at a corner. Then bind to the corner, turn, miter the corner, and keep going. Fold the raw edge of binding over to finish. I finished this in under 2 hours (my son's nap time!)

2 comments:

  1. Great tutorial. The design is simple and your instructions make it simpler to make it. Great idea. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, and your instructions make it sound easy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!