Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Yoga Skirt Tutorial

yoga skirt tutorial #yogaskirt #yogaskirttutorial
Want to know how to make a 'yoga' skirt? I got the idea from this website (found another tutorial here) and adapted it slightly. Very slightly. Only to make it easier for my impatient self to finish as fast as possible so I can wear it as much as possible!
I finished it while my little boy was taking his nap this afternoon...it took him 25 minutes to fall asleep and then he slept for an hour, so it took me less than 1.5 hours from start to finish!
Get your fabric. I used 1 yard of fabric for $6 that was 58" wide and 5% spandex (make sure it has spandex! this skirt relies on that to stay up! no elastic!) First, take two measurements. Your waist. And then from your lower hip to however long you want the skirt to be.

Then take the waist measurement and subtract 3" (this allows it to fit snugly and stay up!). Then divide by 2. You are now ready to cut the two panels you'll use for the waistband. Cut each one 15" tall (they will be doubled...you'll see) and then the other edge will correspond to your waist measurement minus 3 divided by two.
Now sew the two panels together like a tube. I used a zig-zag stitch. Make sure you sew along the sides that are 15". Your waist will go through this tube.
Now just fold the panel in half.
Easy.

Now, remember that other measurement you took? I used the full 58" width of fabric for my skirt and cut the length to my specific measurement. It hits below my knees. After you cut it, you're going to gather the fabric. This isn't hard! Just set your sewing machine to the longest running stitch setting...(mine is 5)...sew along the top border but don't back stitch at either end!
Then take the top thread and pull gently (don't break the thread). You'll need to go along and even out the gathers as you go so you don't have an extremely gathered end and then one side with no gathers. (You'll get the point when you do it.)
After you have it gathered, pin the edges and sew up the skirt part.
Now attach the waistband of the skirt to the 'skirt' of the skirt with pins. Make sure you try and even out the gathering. It doesn't have to be perfect, but make sure you don't have any areas that are just flat.
I used a lot of pins.
Then I zig-zag stitched to secure this seam.
You will want to go back and pull out the gathering stitches you made. Make sure you pulled out all the pins, too!

I chose not to hem the bottom of my skirt. The fabric I used curled at the edges and I hate hemming anyway! End result:

Dresses from Shabby Apple

5 comments:

  1. I need to make one of these! I have one that I purchased a few years ago now in black and it is SUPER comfy!!!
    PS... I hate hemming things too! That's why I'm a huge fan of knit/stretch fabric! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a new sewer, so I love to look at people sewing projects, thanks for sharing!
    www.newlifeovernight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh yoga skirt!! My yoga pants are my absolute favorite so I'm sure I'd love this as much, if not more!

    Angie @ Desperate Houselife

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy yoga as well. I only go to one class a week which I am fortunate enough to be able to walk to. For the rest, I practice a few poses after my daily walk. I like the seated twists and forward bends particularly. I love doing yoga with music RAV Vast https://ravvast.com/catalog/drums/ravvast.:)

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!