Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Avoiding Pesticides

It's well-known that there are fruits and vegetables known as "the dirty dozen" for their pesticide-ladennes (I think I made up that word!) In case you need a review, they are:
-Strawberries
-cherries
-apples
-Mexican cantaloupe
-Chilean grapes
-raspberries
-apricots
-peas
-peaches
-nectarines
-spinach
-cucumbers (the wax coating actually helps retain fungicides!)

We eat a lot of those things. I've got to do better at finding other sources of fruits and vegetables. My son adores grapes, strawberries, apricots, peas and peaches! However, canned and frozen fruits are washed and treated and this actually destroys pesticides. This makes me feel a bit better since I always buy canned apricots and applesauce for my little guy to eat!

But what are some fresh foods that have the lowest rate of pesticides? What can we feed our children and ourselves and feel guilt-free?
-avocados
-onions
-scallions
-corn
-cauliflower
-cabbage
-broccoli
-green peas
-carrots
-sweet potatoes
-blueberries

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!